David is a former World Champion and World Cup Champion and is a five time Olympian in the sport of Whitewater Slalom Kayaking. In 2003 he was voted Canada's Male Athlete of the year.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Rough Day

It would be easy to blame today on the food poisoning, and to be honest I am really not sure how much that played in today’s result, but the reality is I raced incredibly poorly, again. I watched John Hastings narrowly miss the final with a blazingly fast run finishing in 11th place, a personal best for him. This was a clear indication to me of where I should be finishing and has inspired me to work hard to return to form.

 

I have come to the realization that I have been working on trying to become a paddler that isn’t me, and that I need to return to the strengths that allowed me to deliver good solid and consistent performances when it counted most. Somewhere in trying to modify my technique I have lost myself and my confidence. Re-building will be a challenge but with Beijing only a year away the time to start getting back on track is right now.

No comments: