David is a former World Champion and World Cup Champion and is a five time Olympian in the sport of Whitewater Slalom Kayaking. In 2003 he was voted Canada's Male Athlete of the year.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

World Series Race #1

2008 has started in earnest with the qualifier for the first World Series event in the bag. In the men’s kayak class 110 competitors started the race with no fewer than 5 past and present world champions and the reigning Olympic champion as well. It is by far the best World Series start line to date.

 

My day started with a solid run marred by one bad split section and a touch. I felt good during warm up despite the early 8:17 am start time but was not quite on my A game. Fabien Doerfler of Germany led the first runs and I was quite happy to have most of my splits on pace with his.

 

Second runs I was much more within myself and tried to go for controlled precision and had one of those effortless runs. There were a few places I probably should have pressed a little bit harder but I wanted to test the waters on my pacing model and stuck to my plan. I managed to move up to 7th place for the day and my time was good enough for one of the fastest on the day, in fact if you double my second run time it would have won the competition by over 1.5 seconds. Not a bad start.

 

Tomorrow is the semi final and the A and B final so it will be a full day of racing. I am curious to see how things will shake out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David Ford
man i htink your awsom and hope you can pull out a medal this summer at the olympics. I didn't know the 2008 season had started yet but I'm galde to see its going well.

I hope to here from you if you have time kp-c@hotmail.com

P.S I met you at the nationals a couple years back at MKC.

Yours truly Kyle Palmer-Charrette