David is a former World Champion and World Cup Champion and is a five time Olympian in the sport of Whitewater Slalom Kayaking. In 2003 he was voted Canada's Male Athlete of the year.

Friday, January 12, 2007

End of week 1, so far so good!

We have finished the first week of training and everyone seems pretty settled in. The first few days were quite a treat as the numbers on the course were still quite low. By the end of the week however the sessions were running at capacity and it was crowded. I only got hit in the head by another boat once though so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

Our day off was centered around an epic trip to Manly Beach in Sydney. I have never seen the beach so crowded but we found ourselves a nice little spot and enjoyed the time in the sun and surf. Ben especially enjoyed the topless sunbathers. We capped the day off with a Sushi dinner (nothing beats BC sushi) and faced a tough ride home through traffic.

More and more internationals are arriving daily and I am looking forward to seeing the "competition" in action.

As for me, I am really noticing the new technique that I have been working on the past twelve months starting to become automatic. The environment here is very good for comparative analysis and I know this course very well. For these reasons the changes in technique have been very evident and while learning will always come with frustration, I am really happy with where things are going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you tell about your new technique? What are the main keypoints?
Also very interesting to know about your training process.
(quantity of coaches, exercises...)